Sunday, July 20, 2008

Service Dog Training and Certification






I flew from Vegas to Cheyenne on Allegiant Airlines June 20th. Emily and Isaac and I took a nine hour van trip to Concordia, Kansas . We saw that there is a lot of corn growing in Nebraska and farms covering most of the ground between Cheyenne and Concordia. Isaac's name had been on a CARES list and he became eligible for a Service Dog.
We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express for 5 nights and spent the days becoming bonded with and
learning to give commands to and take care of a trained dog. Crosley is a 14 month old Golden Retriever. Isaac's Mom, Emily is really the one Crosley bonded with. The training of Crosley and the 19 other dogs in this group is an interesting story.
Hopefully, Crosley will help Isaac with social interaction and safety.
It was a great experience to have with Emily and Isaac and the new furry member of the family. 2o dogs were placed with kids and adults with various life needs.
I learned a lot about dog training and found that Pronsie is probably not really a dog-- and if she is, I trained her all wrong.

2 comments:

I'm Stitching as fast as I can said...

I never thought "Pronsie" was a dog, she is too little. But of course she doesn't think she is a dog either.

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

Thanks for accompanying us on the adventure. It was fun to meet so many nice people during the week of training and testing. Crosley is settling in nicely and getting along great with Isaac. Pronsie is a great dog, I mean baby!