Sunday, May 25, 2008

GMAT

Just thought I'd update everyone.
I took the GMAT yesterday morning, and I got a 710. That puts me in the 93rd percentile. The math section was brutal, but I must have guessed really well in the verbal section because I was in the 99th percentile for that section.
The math portion was a collection of strange math problems presented in unusual ways. No calculators were allowed. To do well on it you would have to know a bunch of little math tricks and rules. Plus, the test is computer-adaptive. That means that if you get the questions right, the subsequent questions will be more difficult. So, it pushes you to your limits no matter your skill level...unless you're REALLY smart. It was not fun, but it's over.

8 comments:

Chani said...

Nate,
In case it makes a difference,I place you in the "REALLY smart" category! I don't know much about the GMAT, but I'd say 93rd and 99th is beyond fantastic! Way to go!

Cheryl said...

Wow!! Dad and I are happy to read your report of the test scores. Guess that puts you into the Master's program.
Celebrate tomorrow.

Shella said...

Good job, Nate! I think it runs in the family. ;) You are quite a smarty.

Angie said...

Good job Nate, now you can really start graduate school? You are smart and verbally talented. Shella is smart and high on herself about it, just because she always gets straight A's, it only runs in part of the family.

Cheryl said...

Yep, and remember who was the first peep to become an Electrical Engineer. She just doesn't peep about it. 6 out of 6 smarties!!
(Dad's not really a peep--he's a pop)

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

I'd say 5 out of 6 if we're being honest, but if Mom's fooled I'm alright with it. Nate, that is amazing, we're very proud of you! How did you already find out your score? That's really fast! Congratulations, I've always known you were a brain.

Nate said...

You guys are all smarties. You have all been trusted counselors to me on numerous occasions. I have always counted myself fortunate in the quality of my siblings.
The test is all taken on a computer. At the end of it, you have to option to cancel you test or report your score. I just clicked on the button and waited a few moments while the computer tallied the score. Then it popped up on the screen. They even gave me a print-out right there on their printer.
The writing portion of the test takes about 20 days to be graded. That part was just like my law school finals but easier. I think that gets a score too, but I'm not sure how it works.

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

I'm glad you didn't accidentally push the "cancel your test" option!