Monday, February 16, 2009

The Pocket

I forgot to put the pix of the pocket in the last post--it was long enough anyway.
This is the dam that was built to catch and hold water for cattle. The Whitney's must have built a pocket (water catchment) and then it was improved (some people say the original worked better) upon when the CCC projects were being done. It is built of cut stone (goodness knows there is no shortage of that in the area)and mortar/cement.
There is a spigot at the bottom of the dam.

I climbed to the top and found that the steps were built for long legs. Each riser was so tall that I really had to stretch to get myself up. It would have been easier if Pronsie hadn't been in my arms. When we got to the top step, I sat down and took a picture---then I looked down and saw how high I was and decided not to walk on the top or play around getting down.
Just look at Pronsies ear sticking out--it was scary!

This is the view right off the road. Lee and Drew are on top seeing what's on the other side.

1 comment:

I'm Stitching as fast as I can said...

Your little RED sports car is so cute.
And Pronsie says she wants to stay with Aunt Venna Rae when you take her to scary places.