Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tijuana Taxi

We knew that it would have to end.  We packed most of our things in the car on Friday afternoon.  Fixed one last mexican supper, played 2 games of Hand & Foot, and got to bed earlier than usual.  We pulled through the gate at 7:15 am Friday morning and headed for Tijuana and the Border.
LaRee was reading me the instructions for a quick-sure route .  Everything was fine until I saw the big green San Diego/5 Interstate sign with a big arrow pointing to turn right.  I turned right even though the instructions said to go to Revolucion Av. Don't turn where the sign tells to.  It must only mean "get ready to turn right". This is the second year in a row that I took a tour of the city center while trying to find the way out.  This time I even went a lot of extra miles in the rain and unfamiliar territory.  The line was the longest ever when I finally found it.  We didn't get into California until 9:30 or 10.
The fellow at the border booth asked us if we had any liquor or tobacco. We said no, so he asked why we had gone to Mexico.  It's quite interesting that a guard stands between you and the US and he determines whether you cross peacefully or get searched or worse.
It rained most of the way home with slight fog.
We stopped in Victorville to shop some at 99 Cent Only.  We filled the car with stuff , ate at Jack in the Box and headed to Vegas.
We were trying to get home before it got too late for Susan to drive back to Panguitch so I skipped stopping in Vegas and said we would stop in Mesquite .  Susan and LaRee wanted to get Blink card game for the kids at Walmart.
Never go from Victorville --after drinking a cup of diet coke and drinking another one on the way--and then  bypass all possible restrooms  on the way to Mesquite. It's just too far if anything goes wrong.
After passing Glendale about 15 miles from Mesquite I look ahead and think that the red tail lights ahead of us are not moving very fast.  I slowed way down to make sure I had the lights in focus and found that the traffic on the North bound freeway had indeed come to a standstill. After we stopped I turned on my flashers so that we wouldn't get slammed into. After a while I turned off the motor and so did the cars around us.  We were on the freeway just sitting there for over an hour.
There is more to tell to the story, but I won't tell the whole thing.  One thrilling thing was when a diesel pulling a big low trailer sailed by us between the outside white line and the guardrail.  I didn't know that a big rig would fit there and I think he was going a little fast for the unsuspecting stranded motorists.  I'm sure the truck was going to the front of the line to help with removing accident paraphernalia.  We had our car doors open and heard a big horn honk.  It was the diesel and we scurried to pull things together and get the doors shut so he could pass.
Walmart in Mesquite did not have any of the game anyway--but Hurricane did.
We finally pulled into the garage about 10:30 pm. 
There was too much snow to send Susan home last night.  She stayed until this morning and the sun was out and bright.
We feel blessed to be home safely--we really do.   
 
We did fill the car on the way home.  We didn't want to waste any space.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I am glad you are home and glad that you had a fun time and that you blogged about it so that you can remember it.

Kristina said...

What an adventure home... ;o) Glad you guys made it home safe and that you all had a Wonderful time!!