Thursday, February 11, 2010

Yuma January 2010

Imperial Sand Dunes

Notice the Steel fence going down the dunes.
It is the Mexico/California-Arizona Border

January 19-22
We had the best sand ever! It rained (poured) so hard the day we arrived that we went to the movie in downtown Yuma. We saw BLINDSIDE, it was so good.  We went to Dave's Famous BBQ for dinner.



We camped right on the dunes for 2 nights. After the rain the sands were perfect for riding.  Last year we couldn't go up all of the hills because they were dry and we had to fight getting stuck.  This year we took the roller coaster hills and had an exhilarating time.

Thursday morning we went to the big Yuma swap meet market. We bought some fresh dates and oranges. It was raining so hard that
the shops all flooded and closed down. --Reminded me of the day we were in Paris and it was raining so hard Chuck (He was Robert then) and I were the only ones at the Eiffle Tower until the afternoon sun came out.--only the Yuma sun did not come out.
We set in the parking lot with the Hall's in the wind and rain.  Linda and I got Laron and Chuck to play cards with us which was more fun (well almost) than shopping.  We sat in the rain and wind for most of the day until
it was almost dark.




We then went to a laundromat/motel parking lot and camped in a big puddle off the highway. That was where the redneck picture was taken.  We ran across the highway to have Pizza Hut $10.00 Everything Pizza for dinner.  I watched the weather station on TV and heard the typhoon warnings.
That was thrilling.   We woke up Friday morning safe though and headed for Quartzsite only to find the highway had been closed because of flooding.  We took the long way home through Lake Havasu City.

I'll do another post with Quartzsite pictures.  It took me several tries to get this collage on my blog.  I should do it more often because I forget how before I get around to it again.

2 comments:

I'm Stitching as fast as I can said...

What a grand adventure!
It makes for such good stories.
About the cards, I think they are more fun than shopping.
At least cheaper.
See you tomorrow.

Angie said...

Wow, I can think of a couple vacations that sound more fun than that. But maybe they are too boring.